Thursday, January 26, 2012

26: Research Topic

"Janel, have you read Hunger Games?" she said as her eyes peered over her spectacles, the edges of her mouth lifting at the corners.
"Yes I have," I replied. "After you said that you said you put it on your curriculum for Adolescents in Literature, I decided why not."
This pleased her.
"Well, I believe Katniss would make a good subject for your research topic. Although the actress is very physically beautiful, the character herself is beautiful by other means."
I nodded in agreement. While Katniss Everdeen was emphasized as a strong-willed character, physical beauty was not made an association by the author. My advisor scribbled The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins underneath my Project Outline. I smiled. Somehow I'm going to write a research paper that includes The Hunger Games.

My Advisor (formally known as my favorite Professor) approved my research subject on "The Standard of Beauty in Literature" yesterday morning. It's quite ironic of me, somebody with an interest in makeup stretching out my interests into the world of my passion. When my Advisor asked me of other stories in my other classes that may double as research material, I reflected on the last course I had taken with her "Literature for Children" and immediately I thought fairy tales, especially since well known stories like "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Beauty and the Beast" are well known for their main characters physical features and the affect they have on the other characters. I'm quite excited about this endeavor and possibly I could branch out this subject matter into a Thesis when I begin that part of my life. Undergrad, fairy tales and Young Adults and for Graduate School I could look into the more Ethnic Studies approach into the appearance. ;)

No comments: