Wednesday, February 29, 2012

60: Unexpected Complement

She turned her chair and started talking. It's weird how you know some people are just talking to you. No name for verification. Nothing. She just started talking to me.
"I remember what you said in the first weeks of class," she started as her eyes met mine. "You talked about how you're a "C" student and that you don't feel you fit into that stereotype"
It's no surprise you remember that, I was a blubbering idiot who fought through tears to speak with conviction unnecessary racism I've faced. But I'll let her continue.
"I just want you to know that I don't think you're in that stereotype either. I think that as I get to know you in this class, I learn that you are smart and individual in your thinking. Don't think you're not smart."
Wow. I didn't expect that. 
"Thank you for thinking that," I said in a tone an octave lower than my usual.

It kind of made my day. It really did.

No comments: