Tuesday, October 16, 2012

late 307: Being 14,Revertigo, and Perks of Being A Wallflower

Recently watched: The Perks of Being A Wallflower
ergo
Listening to The Smith's Asleep


Ellie and I watched The Perks of Being A Wallflower earlier and I'm having total revertigo. I loved how Stephen Chbosky wrote, produced, and directed the film so the movie was made within his vision as he wrote the story, or maybe to the best of his vision. Nevertheless, the film gave the novel justice and I found myself squealing as I found chapters of the book being represented in front of me. Some stuff was taken out that I didn't mind, such as Charlie's inner thoughts on reading JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. But I felt like while somethings weren't as I imagined it, but maybe the author did and I accepted it. If I haven't completely come direct with my feelings, I loved it.

What I loved the most about is this feeling within my chest that makes me feel like the first did when reading the book. The isolation of loneliness within a high school/middle school setting and the starvation of human interaction in the form of friendship that consolidates belonging. I think a lot of people like to think of themselves as a Wallflower, like Charlie, I think the main character represents the awkwardness of transitioning to a new stage of life and the feelings we get. As an audience, we relate. Maybe not to his extent, but some of it. In the movie, Charlie was depicted sitting alone at a table and even I remember doing that at a time where I felt as if those I had believed to be my real friends had abandoned me for a silly rumor that proved no stance. But those are bygones. Seeing Charlie reminded me of that, and picking up the Chbosky's book The Perks of Being a Wallflower was especially of comfort when my friend Regine felt that I needed to read it after a big break-up with my boyfriend of the time. The confusion Charlie had felt when the friends that he had made refused to see him for an indefinite time and not knowing what to do with himself. Reflecting back, it gave me comfort in that stage of my life.

I guess what I am saying is that during that time in my life, Perks of Being A Wallflower was an iconic book that sought me through the turbulations of adolescence. Seeing that film adaptation brought me back there and it's bittersweet. I think I'm looking on with it in fondness because this book and film was really good.
As for now,

"...And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." -Page 42

No comments: